After 36 years and an uncountable number of release date delays, Top Gun 2 Maverick is finally set to release worldwide on May 27 after premiering at the Cannes Film Festival on May 18.
With a whopping budget of 152 million dollars and world-class casts, Top Gun is no longer a movie.
Top Gun is an emotion. An emotional roller coaster. One that makes your eyes light up, heartbeat fast, and brings a grin to your face.
Paramount Pictures released a brand new trailer for Top Gun 2 Maverick and one could easily get an adrenaline rush just by looking at the dogfight scenes. The trailer hinted at some heartbreaking speculations as well.
The Hollywood Tribune has compiled a list of everything you need to know about Top Gun 2 Maverick and we don’t blame you if your memory of 1986’s Top Gun is not vivid enough, it’s been 36 years after all and we’ve got your back.
Here’s a quick recap of what happened in Top Gun 1 and every detail you need to know before watching Top Gun 2.
Who is Val Kilmer?
Val Kilmer is the actor that plays Tom Kazansky (a.k.a Iceman).
Tom Kazansky (a.k.a: Iceman) was among one of the handfuls of Naval Aviators to be sent to TOPGUN.
Besides being known for his arrogant and smug personality, he was also the highest score holder of his batch in the TOPGUN academy, even higher than Maverick.
And only the best of the best naval flight officers got the chance to return to their operating units as instructors of the following batch. In this case, it was supposed to be Iceman who came back as an instructor.
Key Take-Aways From Top Gun 2 Maverick’s Newly Released Trailer:
- Tom Cruise is back as Capt. Pete “Maverick” Mitchell, and despite his age, he’s cockier than ever as an instructor to TOP GUN at the request of Tom Iceman Kazansky who is now a retired Navy admiral.
- The trailer clearly shows bad blood between Maverick and Goose’s son Bradley Bradshaw, who still holds him accountable for his father’s death.
- A sad hint at Iceman’s death. The 21 rifle tribute at the funeral scene could mean that.
- Next-generation of Naval Striking Officers being taught by Maverick and an end of an era.
- A ton of air combat and dog fights were seen. The trailer showed a dog fight scene between US Navy’s Grumman F-14 Tomcat and the Russian Sukhoi Su-57. This could mean that the climactic build-up throughout the trailer was hinting at the ColdWar period. And if that’s true, it would be one heck of a ride.
Here are some very interesting facts that we bet you did not know about Top Gun 2.
Stay tuned to The Hollywood Tribune for more updates on Top Gun 2: Maverick and the latest news of Hollywood and Beyond! Share this with a Top Gun lover or someone you’d love to go watch this with.